Friday, December 10, 2010

Never a bad time for a French grammar lesson...

It is no secret that I LOVE watching TV and movies. I love them like Laura loves reading! Along the same lines, I thoroughly enjoy introducing my wife to movies and shows that I have enjoyed over the years. Sometimes they take (The Goonies, House), and sometimes they don't (80's John Cusack Movies). Regardless, I am thankful that she patiently watches even the "bad" ones as I try to introduce my cinematic fetish of sorts to her.

Perhaps the biggest success has been Gilmore Girls. I have watched this show since its second season, and was mortified when the final episode of season seven marked the end of the show. Although it does not typify the genre that attracts most men, I absolutely love the witty and satirical writing on the show. Laura began to like watching the re-runs that dominate late afternoon cable TV, and while she was in China she found the first six seasons relatively cheap (one of the best gifts... EVER!). Since that time, we have slowly started watching every episode.

A funny thing happend while watching one episode though. A strange lesson in French grammar. Here is the exerpt from the episode:

Lorelei: "The plural of cul-de-sac is culs-de-sac? That doesn't even sound like English."

Rory: "That's because it's French."

As you can imagine, I faced a dilema. All this time, and my blog title isn't even grammatically correct! Not that anyone ever called me out on it, or even noticed, but in order to uphold my strong belief that the English language is being destroyed by informal methods of communication (Twitter, Facebook, even Blogs), I feel I must make the change. I will do my part to restore proper English usage, even if it means starting with French!

1 comment: